Monday, March 28, 2011

If you gotta problem, yo I'll solve it.

Problems solved:

Sarah: My senior year in high school, my school did a fundraiser for the Make A Wish Foundation. I was student council secretary. My small private school had never ventured to raise a substantial amount of money for an organization. Besides help a terminally ill child, our goal was to unify our K-12th school. I was in charge of a talent show. I had never really headed anything because I was never really willing to accept that kind of responsibility. Nevertheless when it came time to volunteer to be the chairperson/ head of the committee for the talent show, my hand shot up. Immediately I began planning tryouts, sponsorship, public relations, and emcees. I proved to myself that I could effectively lead without being bossy while solving the problem of unity as well as those of the Make A Wish Foundation. Everything ended up coming together! The talent show made several thousand dollars and I felt such a feeling of accomplishment. Because the acts were preformed by both middle school and high school, there seemed to be a better bond between the two sections of the school. In the end, from the dodgeball tournament, talent show, penny wars, etc., together our school raised around $12,000. My leadership class and I were overwhelmed with emotion as we handed the check to the Make A Wish child's mom.

1 comment: